Friday, August 21, 2009

It's aliiiiiiiive!!

I'm at a place in my book (finally) where I know these people I'm writing about, where I'm all wrapped up in their lives and I can't wait to see what happens next. I want the girl to fall in love with the boy (although the boy is being pissy right at this second.), I want the good guys to win, and I want everyone to end up eating a pint of Ben and Jerry's around the kitchen table.

That's not the way my book is going to end, don't worry.

When I read a book, I often find myself thinking about the characters during my day to day stuff. I'll wonder what Anita and Jean Claude are up to while I'm bathing The Monster. Or I'll think of something absolutely hysterical that Lula said to Stephanie while going through lessons with The Princess. Point is, I become invested in these characters, and can't wait to spend more time with them..when I have the time.

My own book is starting to be like that for me, and that makes me excited for a couple reasons. First, I think it means my characters are "real". Second, it makes the writing go much smoother and quicker. And third, well, come on, I'm just digging the hell out of this entire process.

I've read writer's blogs and interviews where the author in question says something about her character like it's a real person. Like, "Who knows what Lestat will do next?" And I've always thought, "Well, duh, Ann, YOU should know, he lives in YOUR head." But, you know, I'm starting to understand that these characters, if you build them right, really do take on a bit of a mind of their own.

It's amazing to me that I'm having trouble with a character because he's being pissy. He kissed a girl, and then is giving her the cold shoulder. There's obviously more backstory there, that he hasn't given up to me just yet. I need to figure out what it is, before my protagonist can confront him about it.

Well, while my Monster and my Princess are sleeping, I'm going to go get my thumb drive and see if I can't unearth his issues. And I hope they're not bad enough that I need to write in a shrink.

No comments:

Post a Comment